We have been reading books, watching short video clips about the animals in order to gain new information, but the best learning happens when the kids are engaged in a play. During making a farm, sorting insects, playing with big plastic animals, modelling with play dough or playing a memory game, the kids share with each other their knowledge about the animals and build up intersting conversations about the topic. Here are few thoughts that was said during the play:
All animals have babies – Taya
Tiger is my favorite animal. Tigers live in jungle. – Ibrahim
Spiders live in the web because they like climbing. – Eish
This green parrot lives in Bangladesh. – Ihsan
Snakes are very dangerous; they have poison in their tongue. – Ibrahim
Snakes are yucky, they are smelly… I don’t like snakes. – Ihsan
Sharks live in the water. – Dayan
Sharks have sharp teeth. – Eish
Bear eats fish. What this turtle eats?... I don’t know, maybe small butterfly? – Ihsan
Lizard looks like crocodile. They have the same kind of tale. – Joe
Tigers and snakes cannot be friends because snakes do not have legs to run fast. – Bo
Lions, tigers, leopards, zebras, they all look the same. – Francesca.
Eagle lives in America. – Henry
I have seen eagle fly in Bangladesh, outside my house. – Ihsan
Outside of the classroom, working collaboratively with the other preK3 class, we created a water world using the kids art work; placing sand, rocks and shells in the tubs; poaring water and placing the right animals into the water - blue water for ocean fish and green for pond creatures.
In PE classes we have been practicing yoga by doing fun animal poses and moving around and making sounds as animals.
Morning Meeting without a written message
1. Singing a Good Morning song - Special Helper chooses rhythmical movement (clapping or tapping) or musical instrument to play.
2. Singing a Days of the Week song and Special Helper will move the star on 'today's place'. Class will think out of any words that start with the same sound as a day such as Wonder for Wednesday or Taya for Tuesday. Special Helper will choose one from the list of words and we all sing "Today is ...." song.
3. Special Helper shows on the board what number is a school day and moves a busy bee clip to the correct number while the others buzz as the bees.
4. Special Helper chooses from different shapes and colors his very special Pattern of the Day and starts it on the board. Then he/she asks any students to continue his/her pattern. Others show their agreement or disagreement with the special hand movement - shaking hands for yes and rolling hands for no.
5. Special Helper will count how many kids are at school today and puts a right number on the board. He/she will choose the other student who will check the counting by counting the heads again.
6. Special Helper will choose two songs to sing together from our song book.
7. Special Helper will be the first to line up and leads the line.